I have recently returned from holiday and I think I’m probably suffering a bit from the “holiday blues.” It’s hard coming back to a demanding job after spending 2 weeks on a sandy white beach.
If I really think about it, it’s probably not even coming back to work that is particularly hard, I do love my job after all. It’s the little things, like having to do the laundry, unpack the dishwasher and undertake again the weekly trek to Tesco. Huff!
Why can’t I win a million pounds and live on my Caribbean beach permanently? The answer is, it’s extremely difficult to win a million pounds, and even if I did, I know I would be bored on my beach within a month.
We all get a little like this occasionally, when we feel a bit fed up, unmotivated and disinterested in our every day lives. At times like this, it is worth remembering that we are not only incredibly lucky to be living here on this planet in this century, but that there are many reasons for us to feel joyful and thankful. In case you have temporarily forgotten what they may be, I’m hoping that the below will offer a timely reminder.
Too many of us are waiting until we are slimmer, have a better job, have moved house or are in a new relationship to be happy. But happiness, contentment, or however you wish to describe it, doesn’t work like that. Believe me, the time to be happy is NOW, and here are 50 reminders why.
1. You can be anything you want to be.
2. You have food to eat and a roof over your head.
3. People love you and care about you. More than you realise.
4. Today could be the start of something new. Why not?
5. Ice cream is available. Even in winter!
6. The world is your oyster! Travel and explore!
7. You can reinvent yourself at any time.
8. You undoubtedly have at least one secret admirer.
9. There are so many opportunities and experiences coming your way. Be ready!
10. You are the only one in complete control of your life. Set your own course.
11. You have many hidden talents. Take time to discover and nurture them.
12. You are the only you! Focus on your individuality, not your imperfections.
13. If you have animals, enjoy time spent with them. My cats are an endless source of joy for me.
14. You can have time away from work. Use it to visit the beach, I find being near the sea soothing and healing….or visit the mountains, or a forest.
15. You can dance. Yes you can! Turn on the radio and dance around the house. It makes me feel like I am 17 again!
16. You can become a more positive thinker with practice: Every single negative thing that has happened to you has made you stronger and more resilient.
17. You can go camping! Sleeping outside and looking at the stars is a great way to retune yourself to the universe and your place within it.
18. Red wine. Or white. Or Prosecco.
19. Remember its never too late… for anything.
20. You are not nearly as fat as you think you are.
21. When you really needed help, someone offered it to you unexpectedly. At least once in your life. If not more.
22. Bookshops and libraries. Heaven!
23. Holidays. I’m always thinking about or planning the next trip.
24. Cocktails at sunset.
25. Feeling the sand between your toes on a beach.
26. Weather. Be it blue sky and sunshine, thunder storms or snow, the difference in the seasons is a constant source of wonder.
27. Music. Any and all genres.
28. You have enough money. Don’t waste time and energy trying to accumulate what you don’t need, while life slips by.
29. Your amazing body. It’s the place you live. Look after it!
30. Treasure your happy memories. Make a scrap book or photo album and enjoy them forever.
31. Challenge yourself. Doing something outside of your comfort zone will give you immense satisfaction.
32. Remember that most worries will not even be bothering you next week, never mind next year.
33. You can choose to be happy. Try it.
34. No one can make you feel bad unless you give them the power to do so.
35. You are much more attractive than you realise.
36. People around you envy your life, or, at the very least, parts of it.
37. It’s nearly Christmas! Log fires, Christmas lights and mulled wine.
38. Remember that the universe wants you to be happy. You are reading this article … perhaps it’s trying to tell you something?
39. You have the power to change someone else’s day for the better with a small deed or word.
40. Today is a new day. The slate is clean and fresh. What are you going to do with it?
41. A happier outlook will not only help you to live longer, but will draw positivity and positive people towards you like a magnet.
42. Learn something new. At any stage in your life.
43. Remember you are perfect as you are. Comparing yourself to others is a sure road to misery.
44. Look up from your phone/laptop/tablet and noticing the beauty around you.
45. Spend money on experiences rather than things.
46. Count your blessings. Write a list of all you have to be grateful for.
47. Remember happiness comes within. Not from stuff.
48. Surround yourself with happy people. It’s contagious.
49. You matter. Deeply. Hugely.
50. And finally….. Did you know that the chances of you being born were 1 in approx 400 trillion? What a rare and precious opportunity you have been given!
Finally, this is one of my favourite reminders about happiness:
One evening, a Cherokee elder told his grandson about the battle that goes on inside people’s heads. He said, “My son, the battle is between the two ‘wolves’ that live inside us all.
One is unhappiness. It is fear, worry, anger, jealousy, sorrow, self-pity, resentment, and inferiority. The other is happiness. It is joy, love, hope, serenity, kindness, generosity, truth, and compassion.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf wins?” The old Cherokee simply replied: “The one you feed”.
Don’t waste your time feeling disgruntled, miserable or resentful. The rest of your life starts now, here, today and it’s completely in your hands. Focus on the good things, mentally cast aside the negatives, and be the person you want to be, and know you can be. ❤️
Love this – what a beautiful idea for a post
Thanks so much ❤️
You are totally right that cats are a great source of joy and happiness!
Oh thanks so much ❤️
Awesome! Ice cream YES! books YES! Beach YES! –planning my next vacation YES! Happy with who I am YES! I love this post, great words!! ❤😊
Oh I love your response!!! Thanks so much!! ❤️❤️
Ah thanks so much for reading ❤️❤️
Thank you so enjoyed being reminded 🥰
Thanks so much! ❤️
Love love love this ❤
Oh bless you thanks so much for reading ❤️