It’s International Cat Day today, and what a perfect day to take a minute to appreciate our wonderful feline friends, and not only what they mean to us, but what we can learn from them.
I was having a very stressful day earlier this week. The work I was doing was slow, monotonous and dull. I felt drained, empty and tired. At this point, Lili my Brown Burmese, wandered into my office, nonchalantly climbed onto my desk and sat herself down on my laptop keyboard. She stared at me for a few seconds, blinked a couple of times and then languidly closed her eyes. It was as if she was saying, “That’s enough for today. Have a break and we will come back to this tomorrow.” I thought about this for the rest of the day and marvelled on the fact that cats are the most relaxed creatures on Earth. Surely we have something to learn from that!
Cats are the most clever, loving, manipulative, independent and generally all round super beings of the animal world. Consider have they have wheedled themselves into our lives over the last few thousand years, how they only need to turn to us with their saucer eyes and plantitive miaows and we are putty in their paws. For centuries, we have loved them, spoiled them and cared for them, yet the cat remains independent to its core, and will always put its own happiness first.
“In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” – Terry Pratchett
As well as being our our companions, comforters, friends and entertainers, cats can also teach us a lot. Cats are committed to maximising happiness and relaxation, so let’s take a tip or two from these beautiful, clever animals and see if our own can be improved by a bit of ‘copy cat’ behaviour.
“The smallest feline is a masterpiece” – Leonardo De Vinci
1. Cats are very independent. They do what they want, when they want. Ever heard of a people pleasing cat? No, I didn’t think so.
2. Cats make the most of their surroundings and the best of what they are given.
3. Cats don’t dwell on the past – they live in the moment.
4. Cats make the most of all of their senses at all times.
5. Cats meditate and practice mindfulness.
6. Cats sleep when they need to.
7. Cats stretch and flex their muscles all day, and are in a near constant state of relaxation.
8. Cats practice yoga.
9. Cats are in charge of their own destiny.
10. Cats never give up.
11. Cats are optimistic.
12. Cats are single-minded.
13. Cats don’t worry about tomorrow, every day is a new adventure.
14. Cats expect to be loved.
15. Cats understand purring is an affirmation … and they use it wisely.
16. Curiosity hardly ever killed the Cat.
17. Cats act like they are royalty.
18. Cats love you, but love themselves more.
19. Cats stand up for themselves.
20. Cats have little conception of their own limitations.
21. Cats believe in themselves, they look in the mirror and see lions and panthers.
22. Cats will fight their corner if they have to, but also instinctively know when to walk away.
23. Cats don’t put their happiness in anyone else’s paws.
24. Cats adapt to whatever situation they find themselves in.
25. Cats are masters at teaching people how to treat them.
26. Cats can make entertainment out of anything…. particularly an empty cardboard box.
27. Cats will not be harnessed or fettered.
28. Cats are the greatest persuaders. (Cats should clearly be in advertising)
29. Cats ask for what they want and fully expect they will get it.
30. Cats eat when they want and stop when they are full.
31. When a cat fails at something, they will either have another go, or decide they didn’t want to do it in the first place.
32. Cats give love freely.
33. Cats know when to say no.
34. Cats will leave if there is no love for them.
35. Cats demand the most comfy spot.
36. Cats rely solely on themselves and their instincts.
37. Cats love solitude, but also choose their friends wisely.
38. Cats do not hold grudges and they don’t get discouraged.
39. Cats will go after things they want with absolute single mindedness
40. Cats take care of themselves and practice self care avidly.
41. Cats find pleasure in simple things.
42. Cats practice intense exercise in short bursts.
43. Cats insist on the best.
44. Cats dream.
45. Cats head for the warmest spot.
46. Cats are decisively indecisive. They will make up their own minds only when they have considered all the options.
47. Cats take up as much room as they need.
48. Cats understand that sunlight cures everything.
49. Cats walk away when they have had enough of anything.
50. Cats demand respect.
“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and cats” – Albert Schweitzer