One of the most popular posts that is regularly viewed on this blog is called
The post lists 50 positive affirmations and is designed to try and promote a positive attitude. Because of its popularity, I thought it might be an idea to write a sister post: 50 more positive thoughts, but hopefully ones that are most useful when things are tough.
We all have difficult days, some worse than others, and although I don’t pretend these words can change your life overnight, they can make you stop and think for a few minutes, and those few minutes may change your attitude, perspective or mood, which in turn, can improve your day. Like its sister post, it is short and snappy so will only take you a few minutes to read. I have highlighted in bold my favourites, but I hope you like them all. No doubt, some will speak to you more than others.
As always, if you have any of your own to add, particularly ones that work for you, please do let me know in the comments. I can never have enough positivity!
1. This too will pass.
2. Time heals.
3. Give yourself time and perspective to work things out. When you’re in a crisis, it’s hard to see the wood from the trees. Going for a walk, having a change of scenery, even sleeping on it, can cast a very different light on things.
4. Remember that you always a choice.
5. No one has the right to make you feel inferior.
6. You don’t need to have everything figured out right now. And you don’t need everything figured out to make a move forward.
7. The only person you can change is yourself.
8. Try to avoid the compulsion to impress everyone. The unhappiest people are those who care the most about what other people think.
9. Your thoughts are just thoughts. They are not facts.
10. Try not to compare yourself to others. We ultimately end up comparing our worst days with others’ best days… and then wonder why we feel low.
11. The quickest route to happiness is via gratitude.
12. It helps to focus on only what you can control.
13. It is your life you are living. Don’t let anyone tell you how to run it.
14. Sometimes not getting what you want is a blessing in disguise.
15. Everything happens for a reason. Trust the universe.
16. You are the only one responsible for your own happiness.
17. Never make a big decision in haste or when angry, upset or ecstatic.
18. Exercise. Even if you are feeling low. The positive impact will be all the greater!
19. Things don’t have to be perfect to be wonderful.
20. Don’t waste time in regret. That time is now past. You did the best you could at that time with the information you had then, and no amount of worrying or recrimination will change that.
21. Forgiveness will set you free from feelings of bitterness and resentment.
22. Treat every day as a fresh start.
23. The world really is your oyster.
24. If you are feeling sad, try and focus on the next hour only. Later and tomorrow will take care of itself.
25. If you want something to be different, approach it differently.
26. You will come out stronger from every difficult experience.
27. It is literally NEVER too late to go after what you want.
28. There are hundreds of exciting opportunities in your future.
29. You can say ‘No’ sometimes.
30. Never, ever settle for second best. You deserve the best and whatever makes you truly happy.
31. Focus on what truly matters to you. It is easy to forget what really matters and what isn’t that important. Some things just aren’t worth getting upset over.
32. Find things to look forward to. It will keep you excited and hopeful for the future.
33. Happiness is not a goal or a point on a map. It is a state of mind.
34. A good cry cleanses the heart, mind and soul.
35. Take one day at a time. There is no rush. The world will wait for you.
36. The sun will always rise tomorrow and you will have another chance to start over.
37. Don’t be afraid of being afraid. Sometimes the only thing you need to grow is the one thing you are most afraid to do.
38. Put on an outfit you love. When you look good, you feel good, and when you look like a mess, you tend to feel like a mess.
39. Remember that every struggle equals growth. Each one is shaping you into the person you are going to become, bringing you closer to who you want to be.
40. Feeling stuck is a sign that it’s time to make a change.
41. Every struggle leads to an opportunity, and every adversity leads to new possibilities.
42. Try not to overthink things. Sometimes the simplest option is the best answer.
43. You have been through difficult times like this before and you have always come through it.
44. The worst of your fears are unlikely to come true and even if they do, you will cope with them better than you possibly imagine.
45. You are not a victim. Do not allow yourself to be treated like one.
46. Believe in you and speak to yourself as you would your best friend.
47. You can’t control other people’s actions, but you can control your reaction to them.
48. Take your power back.
49. Worrying will not change the outcome.
50. You really can calm yourself by focusing on your breath.
Life is a series of ups and downs, but I’m a firm believer it’s how you respond in difficult times that really defines the type of person you are. When you can improve your ability to deal with the tough times, you not only live a happier life, but you also grow as person. Stay strong. Believe in yourself. You are not alone.