I do not think of myself as old. I don’t even really think of myself as middle aged. In my head I’m about 35, though my body is clearly ‘slightly’ older.
I am 53 years old now, which is a bit of a shock when I think about it. I strive to remain as young thinking and young (ish) looking as I can, but I have to face the fact that I am definitely not getting any younger.
With this is mind, I thought it would be fun to compile a list of 53 clues that point towards my ageing. Not ‘old’ you understand, just ‘older.’ Sadly, this was ridiculously easy to do. I probably could have come up with 100. (I will obviously be doing that post in 2066.)
Let me know if you agree with any of the following, or have any of your own to add. ❤️
You know you are getting older when….
1. The cats living in your house now vastly outnumber the people.
2. A wild night out involves being tucked up in bed at 9:45pm
3. People around you regularly say “ You already told me that.”
4. You lose your keys/phone/glasses 10 times a day.
5. You are driving around in October with the air conditioning on full blast.
6. You reminisce about the days you could eat toffees.
7. The scales are no longer your friend.
8. The amount of money you spend on anti ageing cream could fund a small continent.
9. You can remember decimalisation.
10. No one knows what you are talking about when you mention “The Virginian” and “High Chaparral.”
11. Your old secondary school seems to have turned into an “academy.”
12. Your toleration for idiots is dropping by the day.
13. You have started driving like your mum.
14. Comfort is winning over style.
15. You have to lie on your back on the bed to get your socks on. (That one is Andy’s)
16. Crock pot cooking is something to get really excited about.
17. You have 17 different pairs of glasses.
18. Most of the films you enjoyed when you were young have been remade. ‘Not for the better,’ as you like to tell people.
19. You talk about the weather way too much.
20. House prices are really interesting.
21. You get repetitive strain injury in your thumb scrolling down to the year you were born on online forms.
22. You are having to regularly increase font sizes.
23. You are considering having a hearing test.
24. Sleep eludes you in a nice comfy bed, but on the couch, in front of the TV, you can drop off quite easily. Especially when watching Manchester United play.
25. You can remember what you were doing in the summer of 1985, but not what you had for breakfast this morning.
26. Radio 1 is just irritating noise.
27. Sometimes you just have to sit down.
28. You have never heard of most of the bands / artists that you hear on the radio.
29. You have no idea who the celebrities are on Love Island/I’m a Celebrity/ Big Brother.
30. You have started saying “Back in my day…” a lot.
31. You tell everyone that will listen how you didn’t have the internet when you were growing up.
32. You pick “adult only” hotels on holiday.
33. You can’t find anything to watch on TV and start moaning about how programming isn’t like it was in the old days.
34. You never leave the house without a coat, a brolly, a bottle of water and various other survival items in case of an emergency situation.
35. You look at a sausage roll in a bakers window and instantly put on 3 pounds.
36. You reminisce about taping the Top 40 on a Sunday evening.
37. You see your chiropractor more than your closest friends.
38. You have stopped worrying what people think and occasionally take perverse enjoyment in shocking someone with your opinions.
39. You can’t remember the last time you slept for 8 hours, but it was probably in the early 1990’s.
40. Filters are your best friend.
41. You can’t remember why you went upstairs.
42. You have to the resist the urge not to scream at people who call you “hun”.
43. You can’t remember where you parked your car.
44. You are starting to panic about your pension.
45. Drinking sherry seems quite plausible.
46. You are considering writing to BT/the Post Office/ your bank/ holiday operator to complain.
47. Going out of an evening involves sitting on the patio.
48. Putting on make up requires a trowel.
49. The family joke about you being a ‘Crazy Cat Lady’ used to be funny, now it’s just true.
50. You warn anyone younger than you that ‘time flies’ and they need to ‘make the most’ of it.
51. Little aches and pains are becoming big aches and pains.
52. You are either freezing cold or boiling hot. There is no in between.
53. Clothes sizing has obviously changed without anyone letting you know. This is the only explanation for having to recently go up a size everywhere you shop.
So there it is! I hope you like my list. If you have any that I haven’t included, please let me know in the comments!❤️
“The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.”
– Lucille Ball