I have recently returned from holiday and I think I’m probably suffering a bit from the “holiday blues.” It’s hard coming back to a demanding job after spending 2 weeks on a Caribbean beach.
If I really think about it, it’s probably not even coming back to work that is particularly hard, I do love my job after all. It’s the little things, like having to do the laundry, unpack the dishwasher and undertake again the weekly trek to Tesco. Huff!
Why can’t I win a million pounds and live on my Caribbean beach permanently? The answer is, it’s extremely difficult to win a million pounds, and even if I did, I know I would be bored on my beach within a month.
We all get a little like this occasionally, when we feel a bit fed up, unmotivated and disinterested in our every day lives. At times like this, it is worth remembering that we are not only incredibly lucky to be living here on this planet in this century, but that there are many reasons for us to feel joyful and thankful. In case you have temporarily forgotten what they may be, I’m hoping that the below will offer a timely reminder.
Too many of us are waiting until we are slimmer, have a better job, have moved house or are in a new relationship to be happy. But happiness, contentment, or however you wish to describe it, doesn’t work like that. Believe me, the time to be happy is NOW, and here are 50 reasons to remind you why.
1. You can be anything you want to be.
2. You have food to eat and a roof over your head.
3. People love you and care about you. More than you realise.
4. Today could be the start of something new. Why not?
5. Ice cream is available. Even in winter!
6. The world is your oyster! Travel and explore!
7. You can reinvent yourself at any time.
8. You undoubtedly have at least one secret admirer.
9. There are so many opportunities and experiences coming your way. Be ready!
10. You are the only one in complete control of your life. Set your own course.
11. You have many hidden talents. Take time to discover and nurture them.
12. You are the only you! Focus on your individuality, not your imperfections.
13. If you have animals, enjoy time spent with them. My 3 cats are an endless source of joy for me.
14. You have time away from work. Use it to visit the beach, I find being near the sea soothing and healing….or visit the mountains, or a forest.
15. You can dance. Yes you can! Turn on the radio and dance around the house. It makes me feel like I am 17 again!
16. You can become a more positive thinker with practice: Every single negative thing that has happened to you has made you stronger and more resilient.
17. You can go camping! Sleeping outside and looking at the stars is a great way to retune yourself to the universe and your place within it.
18. Red wine.
19. Remembering its never too late… for anything.
20. You are not nearly as fat as you think you are.
21. Designer handbags (this one may be just me)
22. Bookshops and libraries. Heaven!
23. Holidays. I’m always thinking about or planning the next trip.
24. Cocktails at sunset.
25. Feeling the sand between your toes on a beach.
26. Weather. Be it blue sky and sunshine, electric storms or snow, the difference in the seasons is a constant source of wonder.
27. Music. Any and all genres.
28. You have enough money. Don’t waste time and energy trying to accumulate what you don’t need, while life slips by.
29. Your amazing body. It’s the place you live. Look after it!
30. Treasuring your happy memories. Make a scrap book or photo album and enjoy them forever.
31. Challenging yourself. Doing something outside of your comfort zone will give you immense satisfaction.
32. Remembering that most worries will not even figure in your consciousness next week, never mind next year.
33. You can choose to be happy. Try it.
34. No one can make you feel bad unless you give them the power to do so.
35. You are much more attractive than you realise.
36. People around you envy your life, or, at the very least, parts of it.
37. The summer is here! BBQS and picnics or a pub lunch in the sun. Nothing beats eating outside.
38. Remembering that the universe wants you to be happy. You are reading this article … perhaps it’s trying to tell you something?
39. You have the power to change someone else’s day for the better with a small deed or word.
40. Today is a new day. The slate is clean and fresh. What are you going to do with it?
41. A happier outlook will not only help you to live longer, but will draw positivity and positive people towards you like a magnet.
42. Learning something new. At any stage in your life.
43. Remembering you are perfect as you are.
44. Looking up from your phone/laptop/tablet and noticing the beauty around you.
45. Spending money on experiences rather than things.
46. Counting your blessings. Write a list of all you have to be grateful for.
47. Remembering happiness comes within. Not from stuff.
48. Being around happy people. It’s contagious.
49. Think of happiness as a plant in your kitchen. Next to a plant of negativity. Feed the positive plant. Let the negative one wither and die.
50. And finally….. Did you know that the chances of you being born were 1 in approx 400 trillion? What a rare and precious opportunity you have been given!
Don’t waste your time feeling disgruntled, miserable or resentful. The rest of your life starts now, here, today and it’s completely in your hands. Focus on the good things, mentally cast aside the negatives, and be the person you want to be, and know you can be. ❤️
Love this! Thanks for the reminder! I know sometimes I forget to look at the happiness all around me!
Thank you! Really appreciate your reading and leaving a comment! ❤️
You look fabulous on that beach. 💖💖💖
You had me at #1
Thanks Jack.. as always ☀️
#51 – Tea!!!!!
You are absolutely right! How could I have forgotten tea?! Thank you! ❤️
🙂 Now, those are fifty amazing reasons to be happy!
Thank you so much! ❤️
I absolutely LOVE this! Thank you!
Bless you!❤️ Thanks so much for reading
So true, all of this. I think about all the people who have nothing or next to nothing, and I am happy with what I have. I have a man who loves me and I love him. And I love to volunteer to serve my community and different kinds of people in every way I am able. I have always been happy with the smallest of things. Today I found a whole jar full of those lovely glass pieces that look like pebbles or hearts, etc. and my heart smiled. My significant other, Richard is in the hospital recovering from neck surgery which was major and I am thankful we were able to get the surgery when so many people live their lives without having anything to take care of their ills. I held my rescue dogs, all six of them, and I wrapped them in blankets to keep them warm since it is cold here. And I was happy that they are all alive and such good company and that I have food for them and plenty of love when there are many street animals starving and mistreated. Every day I find things to be happy for. I am a cancer survivor without chemo or radiation and I am 77 going on 78 in November, so I have a lot of reasons to be happy. Every day I think of something I am happy for. I posted on my blog today, http://www.allinadaysbreath.wordpress.com about a prayer I wrote for the homeless. I am tired now, and I have a warm bed to sleep in. Thank you kindly.
Thank you so much Anne. Your prayer is wonderful and I hope it reaches a lot of people. Thank you for reading my list and I’m glad you liked it. Like you say, there are so many reasons to be happy everyday ❤️
Lovely post 💕
Thank you! ❤️